Marketing and advertising a business can be a lot of work for an individual. However, if done correctly, you can save a lot of money and maximize your profits.
I am in the same boat as many others with a home business. At first, it was difficult to get clients and business. One day I decided to buy a book from Borders called Marketing Kit (Hiam, 1997). “In it, the book suggested that one should come up with a marketing plan and stick with it.
I decided to sit down and make a list of all the potential targets for marketing my businesses and businesses that I am already targeting. Then I made another list of all the marketing strategies that I am currently using and the strategies that I should use.
This is what I came up with:
1) Hand out at least 5 business cards per day. It does not matter if I give them to companies or individuals. The point is to publicize the name of my company. Essentially, word of mouth will spread.
2) Sending brochures to potential clients with information about my business. I made my own brochures following the format of the book I bought. This method may require several repeated attempts before the customer is finally aware of it.
3) Inform everyone I know or with whom I am in contact about my business.
4) Promote on Facebook. I run giveaways on my Facebook page for fans who interact on my page. I use Groupon to buy items at an affordable price. For example, I recently purchased 2-person movie tickets, which included 2d or 3d movies, a popcorn pot, and a free refill, all for $ 14. I gave one of my Facebook fans the movie pass. Also, use the 80/20 rule on Facebook (Hiam, 1997); 80% of your posts on Facebook must be interactions with your fans on any topic (Hiam, 1997); 20% should be promoting their business and services, according to Hiam (1997).
5) Leave a mark on the Internet. By this, I mean posting your business information on other websites and getting a badge from them. For example, put your business on Yelp, partypop (you should consider this one), eventective, etc … They will give you a badge to put on your website. What you are doing here is linking your page to your page and pointing the other way around. Do this as much as possible to leave an electronic footprint.
6) Obviously, you will need a website with information about your business. People like to see photographs. Keep information short, concise, and to the point. Make sure to use SEO (search engine optimization) to the best of your ability.
7) Make good deals when you start. Everyone is looking for the cheapest prices today.
8) NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK through facial interactions, Facebook, etc … Remember, you are considered an expert in your field. Use it to your advantage. Educate people about your business and your field.
9) Most importantly, STAY COMMITTED!