If you don’t have the right mindset, I promise your copy will stink of heights. Not only will you not get the sales you want, but you won’t build relationships with your prospects in the long run (which is much more important to me than a quick sale). I have a reputation as a marketer who shares valuable information at no cost to you.
And today I’m going to tell you things about how to instantly unload the mind of a copywriter so that your copy is as powerful as possible. Some of these methods will no doubt surprise some, but rest assured … THEY WORK!
1) Turn off your email and phone. Eliminating all distractions should be a no-brainer, but sometimes you just need to be reminded. When it is time to write a copy, you must let the outside world enter your sacred space.
2) Read something you normally would NOT read. It’s very easy to get stuck in a rut if you surround yourself with the same kind of information. Shake up your brain a bit.
- If you are a woman, try reading “Guns and Ammo.”
- Men, pick up your latest “Cosmo”.
- Conservative takes a look at “Maxim”.
- Liberals take over “The American Conservative.”
3) Wear “copywriting” clothing. Many professional copywriters have a specific “suit” or garment that they wear every day to work. When you don that outfit, hat, or shoes, you know mentally that it’s time to get down to business. Like Superman, when the job is done, you can change.
4) Read someone else’s killer copy. Nothing better to put you in the mood than reading professional texts that have a true cadence and persuasiveness. My favorite writing strokes are from John Carlton, Ali Brown, Gary Halbert (RIP), Marie Forleo and, yes, even mine.
5) Set a timer. When you know there is an end in sight, you can work more easily using quick bursts of focused energy. Alternate between a 15 minute period and a 5 minute period. Interestingly, I do more things with the 5 minute blocks because I do not allow ANY STOP during that time. I don’t always use that time frame because it comes at a mental cost after several 5 minute periods in a row.
6) take a nap. A NASA study showed that a 26-minute nap can improve performance by 34%. The fact is, most people are naturally tired in the afternoon anyway (about 8 hours after waking up). Our biological clocks are built that way. Research is very clear that naps reduce stress, increase productivity, increase patience, and improve brain function.
7) do something that makes you feel good. You are the creator of the future masterpiece. When you feel cared for, it is much easier to create openly. So get a massage, pet your pet, enjoy a corner with your partner … whatever makes you smile.
8) Light a good smelling candle or some incense. Smell is one of the most powerful senses we have. I personally use a Trapp Pink Grapefruit Candle which is incredibly fragrant. Grapefruit has an energizing effect.
9) Listen to inspiring music and get moving. Changing your energy helps relax brain flow and memory. In fact, the increased oxygen and blood flow to the brain actually helps form NEW BRAIN CELLS by activating the growth-promoting hormones in your brain.
10) Create a system for yourself (or learn from someone else). I previously recommended two powerful opportunities for you to get this skill in your arsenal as soon as possible. The only one that is still available is to virtually use Carlton’s “Simple Writing System”. Regardless of what works for you, copywriting is something you will simply need for every promotional and marketing message you want to publish.
Increase your salary by learning how to do it right.